As excitement builds for the upcoming Trackday Trophy, we thought it timely to get to know the Sponsors who make the series possible.
About The Company
Turn 7 were founded by Callum and Jim McDougall as a specialist Caterham and Motorsport dealership in Yorkshire.
Having spent many years in the Caterham and Motorsport industries, the decision was taken during the events of Covid-19 to focus their energy, passion and experience towards a business which could help many likeminded people enjoy the thrill of purist driving and motor racing.
The Yorkshire-outfit offer a wide variety of used Caterham's for sale as well servicing, parts, set up and many other brand specific requirements. Along with Caterham's, Turn 7 also stocks a handful of interesting sports and racing vehicles.
Turn 7 Limited is not only Yorkshire's Caterham specialist, but is also one of the country's leading independent brokers of custom racewear and teamwear. We provide personal, effective support to race teams and drivers, ensuring they find them the best products to suit their needs, at the best prices.
- How long have you been involved with motorsport? Jim has been involved in Motorsport since the early 1970's, both as a Racer and later as a Financial Director for multiple Formula 1 teams. Callum grew up traveling the country for race meetings and finally got behind the wheel in 2016 before entering the world of International Professional Motorsport in 2018.
- What motorsport have you been involved in? -In a variety of capacities, Callum and Jim have worked or competed in a huge spectrum of Motorsport, from grassroots racing to Formula 1. To name a few: Formula 1, A1GP, WEC, ELMS, GT1 World Championship, BTCC and supporting series, Classic Mini, Caterham and a host of MSVT organized series.
- What drew you to get involved with MSVT Championships? When Callum started racing in 2016, MSVT's Trackday Championship felt like a really good place to get started. Jim and Callum purchased a MK2 Toyota MR2 SW20 and competed together in the 2016 season under the banner "Frugal Racing", placing 2nd at the end of the year. Callum then returned for a further two seasons in a Caterham, before building a KA for the newly launched EnduroKA series.
During that time, Callum's professional role saw him managing a newly formed Racewear brand called HRX. Callum brought HRX to MSVT with a multi year sponsorship agreement, which saw MSVT registered drivers getting access to great new racewear products at discounted prices and in turn grew the awareness of the new brand.
Now Callum and Jim have formed Turn 7 Limited, a specialist Caterham dealership and broker of Customer Racewear for many of the industries leading brands. Having already built up a firm relationship with the management at MSVT and many of their competing teams, the decision was made to re-ignite this relationship with the aim of once again bringing excellent products and services to all the competitors, and hopefully building on the reputation and awareness of their new business.
- What’s your favourite track on the ’22 Calendar? Why? – The newly added 24 Hours of Anglesey. This is going to be an incredible challenge and hopefully also a huge amount of fun. As far as tracks go, there is no clear favourite. Donnington, Oulton, Cadwell, Brands Hatch... we are spoiled for choice, and all incredibly exciting for their own reasons.
- Are you able to give us a fun or interesting ‘did you know’ fact about yourself or business? - Once, when Jim was working for Williams Formula One, he was pulled over immediately after leaving the factory for "driving at excessive speed through a roundabout". At the time, Jim had an outrageous 80's moustache, which turned out to be a god send when the officer who pulled him over mistook him for Nigel Mansell and let him off without so much as a warning
- Anything else to add ? - "Our door at Turn 7 is always open. Racing is our life, our hobby and our passion. We are committed to assisting all racers and teams in any way we can and strive to provide the best service at the best value.
Our new agreement with MSVT will see us providing all competitors with discounted rates on Custom Racewear and in addition, we will also be awarding all this year's winners with generous vouchers towards these bespokely made products. Our goal is to help everybody look and feel as good out of the car as in it.
Whatever you need, we have you covered."