Round 4 - Results
Oulton Park


Race Report:

Race 3: Class S and A

Qualifying saw the Frugal Racing Caterham take pole from Silverstone Pole sitter RJ Developments, with OMG’s Steve Gales third in the Sear EuroCup. Class A Pole went to a returning Team Bacon Butty, ahead of Goblin Racings Martyn Culley and Lightwork Racings Simon Hands in third.

The Frugal Racing Caterham had the best of the start, followed closely by the RJ Developments and AutoRevive London BMWs. As now expected, a lightning start from the Porsche of Team ALN saw him jump the Seats and get to fourth, capitalizing on Mangoes Racings Mark Nenadic and JK Motorsports Hugh Gurney being squeezed onto the grass off the line.

In Class A it was the bacon Butty Porsche that got away best, the Goblin Racing Seat of Martyn Culley just fending off the Barton Motorsport Golf and Lightwork Racing Lotus in turn just ahead of the sister Goblin Racing Seat of Barrie Culley.

The fight for fourth on the road was heating up, with Mangoes Racings Darren Goes went through on the inside of the Team ALN Porsche at Cascades. This left the door open for Team Meanest on the outside of team ALN at Lakeside. Contact between the Porsche and the BMW now in fifth and sixth put the Team ALN Porsche on the grass, allowing the Seat EuroCup of Steve Gales through on the Porsche just before Shell. Suffering a suspected suspension failure the Team ALN retire from the race just before Druids corner.

The Class A battle for second was fierce. This allowed the Team Bacon Butty Porsche to start to stretch its legs in the class lead, as Barton Motorsports VW Golf and the Goblin Seat of Martyn Culley traded lap times through the early stages of the race.

First pit of the race went to JK Motorsport, as an early trip to the pits was required to clear grass from the radiator. This dropped the BMW down to last on the road and a lap down on the leaders

The heat at Oulton Park was clearly a major factor of the race, this was clear as Mangoes Racing Mark Nenadic retires from the race with overheating issues closely followed by AutoRevive London who had dropped down from third to sixth before being forced to retire from the race with overheating problems.

As the pit window opened it looked like the Team Meanest BMW would fall foul of an early stop but also suffering from technical dramas of their own the BMW was set to retire moments later.

First of the full stops were the Class A’s Barrie Culley in the Goblin Racing Seat and Simon Hands in the Lightwork Racing Lotus, both taking an early stop in an attempt to close the gap on the leading Class A pair after the stops. This opened the flood gates and just one lap later most of the field had headed to the pits.

As the dust settled from the pit window, it was the Caterham of Frugal Racing that had held the lead, just ahead of RJ Developments in second and OMG’s Steve Gales in third. Which is how it stayed to the end, despite a late push from Mangoes Racings Darren Goes in fourth.

After the pit stops the Class A battle was heating up. The Team Bacon Butty Porsche was leading the class comfortably, but as the race drew to an end it was clear that the Goblin Racing Seat had the legs on the Porsche. With the retirement of the Barton Motorsport Golf just after the pit window closed, Class A now looked like a two horse race. Able to take big chunks from the Class A leading Porsche, Martyn Culley in the Goblin Racing Seat ran out of laps as the flag came down to end the tense final lap.


Race Report:

Race 1: Class B, C and D

Qualifying saw a repeat of the same front row that lined up at Silverstone, with GNB Racing’s Gary Burstow taking pole alongside the Team AirSupply Porsche. Class C pole was captured by Dean Hyde in the Tylah Motorsport BMW, ahead of DLR Motorsports pairing John Griffths and Tom Rogers. Class D pole was Supatune Motorsports Fiesta with Mike Rogers and Petra Baeker at the wheel of the car usually reserved for Phil Burden, second was taken by Silverstone pole sitter Jack Youhill with third place held by Clive Goldthorpe on his first trip to Oulton Park.

When the lights went out it was the GNB BMW that got away best, closely followed by the Air Supply Porsche. KU Motorsport had their best start to date by securing second momentarily from the Pair Supply Porsche before having to settle for third from fifth on the grid. A shaky start from the Apple Car centre Clio saw them drop from third on the grid to seventh over the first lap as the fighting pack caught the Honeybone car at the back end of the circuit.

In Class C, the pole sitter Dean Hyde, got away well to mix in with the Class B cars. Team Norfolk’s Kevin Stirling also got away well to jump the DLR Motorsport Clio. As the Class B cars slowly made their way back past Hydes Tylah BMW the chasing Class C pack were able to close him in as well, with the BMW being slower in the traffic.

Following the retirement of Jack Youhill, the remaining three Class D cars got away from the line together. The Supatune Fiesta in the hands of Baeker and Rogers setting the early pace. The Beaufort Fiesta and the Supatune Puma fighting for second and third in class, a battle the Puma would ultimately lead into the pit stop window.

As the pit stop window loomed nearer the top four on the road, and in Class B, were still fighting hard. First to blink was the KU Motorsport Caterham of Dale Cooper, as he came into the pits followed closely by the Amery MINI of Martin Amery and Keith Gibbs. Class B reacted an the Honeybone Clio of Apple Car Centre pitted just one lap later.

Last to stop was GNB Racings Gary Burstow, but a long stop relegated the BMW to seventh from the lead. Also falling foul of a long stop was Class D’s Supatune Motorsports Puma which dropped behind the Beaufort Fiesta, for third in Class D

With GNB Racing now seemingly out of the running it was the Team Air Supply Porsche that emerged in the lead. This was a lead that looked at risk however, with a late charge by Apple Car centre closing in on the Team Air Supply Porsche for the lead. The Clio was able to close the gap down to seven seconds but ultimately ran out of laps to challenge for the lead. Pete Jokinen in the Team Hearing Dogs Mini continued a consistent season with a comfortable third, and a recovering Burstow took the GNB Racing BMW to fourth.

In Class C, Tylah Motorsports Dean Hyde managed to hold the lead coming out of the pit stops. Team Norfolk in second was coming under mounting pressure from DLR Motorsport who managed to pass Team Norfolk for second. This fight allowed Tylah Motorsports Hyde to gap the second place battle. Once in front of Team Norfolk the DLR Clio, showed good pace, trading lap times with Hyde. Unfortunatly the gap built by Hyde was enough and the Tylah car held the lead until the chequered flag.Team Norfolk in turn managed to hold off a late charge by Simon Reed in the OX4 Mini to hold on to third in Class C.

In Class D, it was the Supatune Motorsport Fiesta of Rogers and Baecker who emerge from the pits with a healthy lead over Goldthorpe’s Beaufort Racing Fiesta which was now in second. The battle wasn’t over however as Goldthorpe was lapping faster than the Supatune car for most of the second half of the race. As with the other classes though, the gap was too much and the Supertune Fiesta held on to the Class D lead until the flag. Beaufort took second in class and the Supatune Puma had to settle for third in Class D.